Thursday, April 19, 2012

Team Dennis

With my visit to Tech last weekend, and with it being the time of year for Relay for Life, it got me thinking about Dennis...

I met Dennis during my freshman year in college. His dad worked with my mom, and we finally met one weekend he came to JMU to visit a friend of his. 

I can honestly say Dennis was one of the nicest, most genuine people I have ever met. We had just met that day, but it felt like we had known each other for a much longer time. 

Dennis was diagnosed with Hodgkin's Lymphoma during his sophomore year at Virginia Tech. During his hard-fought battle with lymphoma, he maintained his studies at Tech and graduated Summa Cum Laude from the Intensive Care Unit at Mary Washington Hospital on December 15, 2011.

 Dennis passed away two days after his graduation ceremony on December 17, 2011. He was twenty-two years old when he died.

Relay for Life takes place tomorrow night at Virginia Tech, and I'll be thinking about you, Dennis. 


I am lucky to have known you Dennis, and I am so happy you had your special day. You did it.

Below is a video of Dennis's graduation ceremony. 


Here's to Dennis, and to everyone else whose lives have been affected by cancer in some way. 

1 comment:

  1. Well now that I'm bawling from that video! What a sweet story, and so heartbreaking. Dennis sounds like he was such an amazing person, full of so much courage. What a blessing that you were able to know him!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS