Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Honey Soy Grilled Salmon

So last night I was in charge of making dinner. Usually Chef Michael makes dinner (which believe me, I don't complain about), and it's delicious and we're both happy. But last night was a late night for him, so I offered to start dinner and have it ready when he got home.

I searched for some recipes on the Food Network channel's website, and I came across an entire section of healthy recipes. I knew I wanted to make some type of fish, since it's usually pretty easy to cook. Since my skill level isn't too high yet, I wanted to start out with something easy. The Honey Soy Grilled Salmon recipe was healthy and sounded yummy, so I printed off the recipe and got to planning what else I would make with it. I decided to start with a goat cheese, walnut and apple salad and then pair the salmon with a baked potato for Michael and a sweet potato for me.


The salad was a huge hit. I absolutely love goat cheese, and the apples and walnuts just complement its flavor so nicely. I used a bag of spring mix greens instead of romaine, which is what we normally use for salads.


The salmon was absolutely amazing, if I do say so myself. It was really simple to make, too. I bought two 6 oz. fillets of fresh salmon that were pre-packaged with the skin on. To start, I mixed some chopped cilantro and scallions with a little bit of olive oil and ginger. Then, with the salmon flipped over, I made a 3-inch cut through the skin and stuffed the cilantro/scallion mixture through the fish to infuse it with flavor. I flipped the salmon back over and seasoned it with salt and pepper. 

With this recipe, you could either broil or grill the salmon, so I chose to broil it in the oven. While the oven heated up, I made the glaze for the salmon with low-sodium soy sauce, honey and fresh lime juice. I poured a little over each fillet before popping them in the oven. The salmon cooked so quickly, and after about six minutes, I took them out of the oven and drizzled them with the last little bit of glaze. Needless to say, Michael and I were both happy with the outcome, and I know I will definitely make this recipe again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS