Monday, January 9, 2012

This not that: rainy day footwear

I'd like to introduce the first of a series of posts I'm going to call "This not that." I think it's pretty self-explanatory.

On a rainy day like today, I see a variety of rain boots all over campus. I'll admit when I was a freshman, I was a guilty of wearing hideous polka dot rain boots. In my defense, I didn't know any better. When I came to JMU, I didn't plan for the days when it was pouring down rain and I had to walk across campus to get to class. One day I wore flip flops in the rain and I almost broke my nose after tripping and falling up a staircase in my dorm. Lesson learned — I needed appropriate footwear for when it rained. What did I do? Ordered generic rain boots from Target, of course. Now, they did suit their purpose for a little while and did keep me from falling on my face, but I eventually grew to hate them.

Here's why: First, they were uncomfortable and awkward to walk in, not mention they were hot and made my feet sweat. My socks get mashed down to my toes, and readjusting them was nearly impossible unless I wanted to stop and take my boots off in the middle of the sidewalk. Second, I never knew what to do if it was supposed to rain that day, but it hadn't started yet as I was leaving for class. If I wore my boots to be safe, I looked like an idiot later in the day when the weather changed its mind and didn't rain after all. And of course, if I took a chance that it wasn't going to rain and wore a cute pair of flats, it would be a monsoon out by the time I left class and I would be left with ruined shoes and soggy feet.

Also, rain boots just don't match any outfit. At least the ones I owned didn't. They looked stupid with jeans and only a little better with leggings. During my freshman year while I was checking my mail in Warren Hall, I was scolded by an older man (a fashion forward professor perhaps?) for my rain boots and umbrella not matching. I also recently witnessed a girl (for her sake, I assumed she was a freshman going through the same confusion I once experienced) wearing rain boots and Nike athletic shorts. There. Is. No. Excuse. For. That.

Needless to say, I knew I had to find an alternative to my rain boots. Lucky for me, I found out there are much better footwear options for when it rains. So instead of these Target rain boots, I would encourage you to wear either of the following options instead.


 I bought a pair of Sperry Cormorant Rubber Slip On shoes last spring, and I have been very pleased with them. They keep my feet dry, only go up to my ankle and can be worn with a variety of outfits. I wear them with jeans when I'm out running errands, and I can wear them to work with khakis. The only downside of this shoe is its weight. They are a little on the heavy side, which is a little annoying after trekking around campus all day. 
Cormorant Rubber Slip On

The next option I would suggest is the L.L. Bean Rubber Moc. It's the lighter version of the Sperry shoe. My roommate Marilyn owns a pair and loves them, which has rubbed off on me because I just ordered a pair. They're durable, comfortable and much lighter than the Sperry version. The only downside to this shoe may be the sizing. I'm usually a size 7.5, but the website said I should order a size 6. Here's to hoping they fit. 
Women's Bean Boots by L.L.Bean, Rubber Moc

See? Rainy day footwear problem solved. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
BLOG DESIGN BY DESIGNER BLOGS